Home Affordable Modification Program
Case Escalation

Case Escalation

If you believe that a servicer is incorrectly interpreting HAMP guidelines, there is a process in place to help you. Find out the best way to escalate your case so that you get an answer to your concerns.

Escalate the Case to Senior Management at the Servicer Shop

First, work through your normal contacts and channels with the servicer. If that does not resolve the issue, elevate your concern to a senior manager within the servicer's organization.

All servicers are required to have written procedures and personnel in place to provide timely and appropriate responses to homeowner inquiries and disputes that rise to the level of an “Escalated Case,” which include:

  • allegations that the servicer did not assess the homeowner for the applicable MHA Program(s) according to program guidelines;
  • inquiries regarding inappropriate program denials;
  • initiation or continuance of foreclosure actions in violation of program guidelines.

Contact the Appropriate Escalation Team

If escalating to the servicer's senior management does not resolve the issue, escalate the issue using the following contact table:

Investor Contact Information Additional Information
Fannie Mae Loans

Phone: 1-800-2FANNIE

Fannie Mae Loan Lookup
HomePath Short Sale Inquiry

Freddie Mac Loans

Phone: 1-800-FREDDIE Option 2

Freddie Mac Loan Lookup
FHA Loans FHA National Servicing Center
Phone: 1-877-622-8525
VA Loans Service Center
Phone: 1-877-827-3702
Loan Guaranty Home Loan Program
USDA Loans Centralized Servicing Center
Phone: 1-800-414-1226

The Making Home Affordable (MHA) Program expired in December 2016. Although this resource is no longer available to homeowners, help is still available. Mortgage companies will continue to offer assistance.

Contact your Mortgage Company or lender directly to inquire about your existing HAMP modification or other available solutions.

Additional information about the Making Home Affordable Program can be found on this website: https://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/pages/default.aspx

As an additional resource, you may also consider contacting a housing counselor at 888-995-HOPE™ (4673) or a HUD-approved housing counseling agency in your area to assist you in determining what options may be available. Those approved agencies can be located by visiting HUD’s website: https://apps.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hcs.cfm

If you have concerns about fraud, waste or abuse with the TARP Program, please contact the Special Inspector General at www.sigtarp.gov.